People who suffer through life and overcome are sufficient proof that everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms–to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way (Victor Frankyl, Man’s Search For Meaning).
While we have little control over circumstances or the actions of others, we can control our reactions to them. Anyone can learn how to think more positively and operate with a better attitude, regardless of circumstances, temperament, or intellect.
The way in which one chooses to cross the transitions in life determines whether they fall or get to the other side. Believing you can reach the immediate goal and having a sure footing will enable continuance but also success at leading people to do the same, here are some things to think about:
Who Do You Act Like?
To start thinking positively, begin by acting positively. Most people wait until they feel like it before taking action, but that’s going about it backwards. Instead, you’ve got to act your way into thinking. By putting desires into action, you can establish a habit of thinking correctly and the result is a positive way of acting that reflects that we intend to succeed.
If you tend to think negatively, break that habit by choosing to have and exhibit a plan that is focused on the goal and the outcome of actions. Jesus said that we should count the cost before we act. Our actions reflect an attitude that we can and God will …
What will acting this way do this do? Besides improving your personal well-being, you’ll model the actions you want your followers to take as well. As they see your commitment to being positive, they’ll follow your example.
What Are You Planting?
To reap a successful harvest, a farmer doesn’t plant seeds and then just expect them to grow on their own. He must continually water, weed, fertilize and nurture the growing plants if he wants them to reach maturity.
Likewise, if we want a successful life, we need to spend time every day nurturing our attitude. We must nourish the seeds of positive thinking, or they won’t grow. And if we don’t pay attention to our crop, weeds of negative thinking will spring up and choke the positive plants until they die.
Focus on Success Not Failure
Focus on what’s positive and successful. Don’t feed the weeds. As it says in Philippians 4:8, “Whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, and whatsoever things are of good report … think on these things” (KJV).
What Are You Expecting?
Have you noticed that whenever you buy a new car, you suddenly see others driving that same model everywhere? I’m sure you’ve figured out that those other cars were there all along; you just weren’t looking for them before. Now that you have that particular car yourself, your eye is trained to notice it.
People Really Do See What They‘re Prepared To See
That’s why it’s so important to train yourself to look for the best in others. There is good in the worst of us and bad in the best of us, if we look for it hard enough. So whether you notice positive traits or imperfections depends almost entirely on what you choose to see. When we consciously look for the best in people, we allow their good traits to have a positive impact on our life and leadership.
What Do You Really Believe?
You might believe that great ideas come only to the geniuses of the world. But in reality, discovering an idea is more a function of attitude than aptitude. An open-minded, creative person looks for ideas anywhere he can find them. He considers every option and doesn’t reject anything until he’s thoroughly examined it for any good he can find.
Thomas Edison, one of the world’s great inventors, discovered some of his best inventions after other ideas went wrong, and he found another use for them. In fact, that’s exactly what happened with the phonograph. If you keep an open mind and explore every idea presented to you, your people will follow your example. And the new ideas you discover together will contribute to your success.
Many people tend to take attitude for granted. They assume that they’re stuck with the attitude that they have. Yet your outlook on life, as well as that of your people, can be changed. And the impact of positive thinking is so significant that it deserves regular attention. Take an attitude inventory today, and set yourself on the right track of thinking. Before you can change your world, you must first change the way you look at it.
- Positive Thinking To Live Presently (babalingus.com)
- Attitude is Everything (socyberty.com)
- Models Direct’s Guide To Positive Thinking [Suzy "find a model" O'Connor] (ecademy.com)
- Creating Our Destiny with God’s Help (pjsprayerline.blogspot.com)
- David R. Hamilton, Ph.D.: Do Positive People Live Longer? (huffingtonpost.com)
- Death To The Traitor Within! (pastorpaulvbsblog.blogspot.com)
- Maintaining Your Best Professional Attitude (slideshare.net)
- A Christian Attitude Towards Being Offended (epages.wordpress.com)
- Attitude Self-Assessment Test (ismckenzie.com)
- It’s All in How You Look at Things (prinyourpajamas.com)
- A Fool’s Morality (new.exchristian.net)
- Positive Attitude (mistygauthier.com)
- Attitudes truly are contagious! A movie from Simple Truths (insights-group.com)
- Improve Your Lifestyle With Positive Thinking (lifestyleadviceforwomen.wordpress.com)
- If you’re crabby and unhappy, then read me! (floramemae.wordpress.com)
- Why Your Attitude is Everything (belieffirst.wordpress.com)
- Success from Positive Attitude vs Failure and Negativeness (rzdinbre.wordpress.com)
- “Choices” (pjsprayerline.blogspot.com)
- Top Fifty Blogs for Positive Thinking and Visualization (masterofpsychology.com)
- Essentials of Christian Living: Open-Mindedness and Positive Outlook (christianoptimist.wordpress.com)
- Be positive to win. (runimal800.wordpress.com)
- 4 Steps To Think Positively in a Romantic Relationship (relationshipgames.wordpress.com)
- Being Positive means never having to say “Why Me?” (cerkas.wordpress.com)
- Against Positive Thinking: Uncertainty as the Secret of Happiness (brainpickings.org)
- Check Your Attitude at the Door: The Power of Positive Intention read online (lnirrope.typepad.com)
- Converting A Negative Attitude to Positive Attitude (irishabh.wordpress.com)
- 4 Reasons Positive Thinking Doesn’t Work (And What to Do Instead) (lifehack.org)
- EP 176: Why You Hate Psychology – Self Esteem Movement and Positive Thinking (thepsychfiles.com)
- 30 Practical Ways to Improve Yourself (marcandangel.com)
- Quotes on negative people (bertrandwalter1.typepad.com)
- Happiness is a glass half empty | Oliver Burkeman (guardian.co.uk)